Bringing drinking water to the places that need it is a challenge, sometimes these are places that have characteristics that make it difficult for the vital liquid to arrive, so it takes will and ingenuity to overcome each of the obstacles with ideas innovative that help benefit communities with a better quality of life.
Importance of drinking water
Drinking water is a liquid suitable for humans, so it can be safely consumed and used. Having drinking water daily is essential for life, it basically maintains health, since its regular consumption helps the body to carry out its transport, oxygenation and purification processes in an ideal way.
Water is used in all activities that ensure human survival on the planet, it is needed for the sowing and maintenance of the fruits of the earth, for personal hygiene, in the preparation of food and for the animals to survive.
The conservation of water sources and the reduction of pollution is essential to guarantee the quality of the liquid that is consumed.
The quality of life of the population depends on having the constant distribution of drinking water and the correct management of wastewater. Both things are essential to prevent the spread of diseases and prevent sources of infection from being generated.
It is essential to implement actions that help to avoid wasting water, such as preventing it from being lost during brushing, hand washing or shaving.
You can also take advantage of the shower water to give it a second use. High pressure showers use this natural resource much more than normal ones, so using them does not contribute to saving water.
Any leaks in the pipes must be repaired, as a large amount of water is lost with each drop and is needed in places where it is not easy to get.
How to get drinking water?
In general, regions must have a distribution network that guarantees drinking water, although this is often not the case. The deterioration of the pipes, the absence of options for distribution, the lack of pressure and the few alternatives for storage affect the communities.
A white water distribution system in poor condition favors the appearance of pollutants, which end up making the inhabitants of the region sick.
Some resources and initiatives that are used to bring water to remote locations include the following:
- Carry out investment plans to improve the infrastructure for the distribution and pumping of drinking water.
- Build water treatment plants in different parts of the region in order to reach the most remote populations.
- Develop information protocols on the sanitation of water sources in areas of difficult access.
- Report on the recycling of wastewater for agricultural use, sanitation plants are sources of water for irrigation and cleaning of spaces for animal coexistence.
- Facilitate access to filtering and disinfection treatments so that the water is drinkable and suitable for consumption, something essential when it must be stored for a long time.
- Protect reservoirs and recover freshwater ecosystems, maintain cleanliness and avoid the accumulation of polluting substances.
- Use alternative water sources, which collect the vital liquid obtained from dew, rain and fog.
- Condensation traps can be installed, which are systems that serve to obtain and store the liquid that is produced when there is a humid and rainy climate.
- Install mechanical systems for the extraction of water from underground sources. Wells can be dug to reach freshwater reserves and a pumping system can be adapted to bring it to the surface.
If you are interested in learning more about the implementation of new technologies and ingenious systems to improve the quality of life in the poorest countries of our planet, we invite you to continue reading other content that is already available on the blog.